Weed Legalization History in D.C.
The legalization of cannabis is an issue that has divided the United States for decades now, with a lot of people against it and others supporting its legalization. The U.S. government has very strict laws against cannabis that date back to 1970, and the government even classifies it as a Schedule I drug – meaning it’s considered to be one of the most dangerous substances out there.
The legalization of weed is a controversial topic, and there are many arguments on both sides which can go from moral issues like “what message does this send out?” to ethical questions such as how legalizing cannabis will affect society or even other drugs. But even though cannabis is illegal on a federal level, some states have legalized it, and D.C. has taken this issue for themselves to make their own decision about legalization, with Initiative 71 passing in November 2015 and marijuana becoming legal for recreational use in February 2016! The history of weed legalization in D.C. has been evolving with time, and the decision to legalize it was taken in the year 2014.
Buying pot is still illegal in D.C., so in order to get weed legally, you should get it by gifting, which is when you give someone weed without expecting anything in return. You can also grow your own pot for personal use if you have a green thumb and the law allows it! You can legally grow up to six marijuana plants with no more than three mature or flowering plants at a time.
Smoking Weed in D.C.
Smoking weed is a great way to relax, but not many people know where they can do it legally. The District of Columbia is a unique place where weed smoking is not only legal but encouraged. Where to smoke in D.C. has been an important debate since the legalization of marijuana for recreational use in 2015. In DC, the law says that you are allowed to smoke cannabis on private property with permission from the owner. This means that if you have a house or apartment with your name on the lease, then you are in luck! You can also enjoy smoking weed at home as long as someone else doesn’t live there and object. There are currently two ways that people can smoke weed legally in Washington DC:
1) Possessing up to an ounce or less than 28 grams of marijuana.
2) Smoking cannabis in a private place, such as your home or someone else’s house.
Wherever you decide to go for this activity, make sure that it is only for adults of legal age (21 years old) and don’t forget about any local laws too! Even though weed is legal for recreational use in Washington D.C., there are still some laws that may affect your ability to smoke it while you’re here.
Places Where You Can Legally Smoke Weed in Washington D.C.
Now that Washington DC residents can legally smoke marijuana with their friends without fear of a criminal penalty, you may be wondering where to go for the experience. Here we have compiled some of the best places to go for a good time.
- The Capitol Building (on Pennsylvania Avenue N.W.)
- Georgetown Waterfront Park on Key Bridge Road between K Street and Canal Road N.W., where you can also enjoy food trucks with your weed!
- On any sidewalk or the public way that is not within 25 feet of a playground, school grounds, recreation center, or facilities.
- Some nightclubs and rooftop bars
Health Benefits of Smoking Weed
Smoking weed at a minimum and controlled amount has much health benefits:
1) Reduces anxiety
2) Helps with PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) and depression.
3) Aids in sleep by reducing insomnia and improving the quality of restful sleep.
4) Lowers intraocular eye pressure for patients who suffer glaucoma and ocular hypertension.
5) Also helps to combat the effects of Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia.
6) One of the many benefits of smoking weed is that it relaxes your muscles, which means you are not as likely to experience muscle cramps.
7) It helps with sleep and relieves pain for people who suffer from conditions such as arthritis or chronic pain.
8) Can even be used medicinally to relieve symptoms of pain, nausea, vomiting, seizures, or muscle spasms.
9) Oral cannabinoids are effective against nausea and vomiting that are caused by cancer treatments.
1) Used as a treatment for specific types of epilepsy.
The Dangers Of Smoking Weed
1) Smoking Weed Can be Addictive
When someone smokes pot on a regular basis, it becomes more difficult to stop and can lead to withdrawal symptoms. However, one of the many benefits of smoking weed is that it relaxes your muscles, which means you are not as likely to experience muscle cramps.
2) Mental Health Problems
People who smoke weed regularly are more likely to experience mental health problems. This is because daily marijuana use exacerbates existing symptoms of schizophrenia and psychosis. It’s also worth noting that if you have a family history of schizophrenia or other psychotic disorders, the use of weed may increase your chance of developing these conditions.
Furthermore, people with bipolar disorder are more likely to self-medicate with marijuana than those without it in their families. This can lead to an increased risk of developing mania. The same goes for people with anxiety, depression, and post-traumatic stress disorder: they are more likely to self-medicate with weed than those without these conditions in their families.
3) Social Withdrawal
Additionally, the development of social withdrawal is a common symptom among those who have started using cannabis as medication; it may also be the case that withdrawal is more difficult for some people to cope with than others.
Ways to Get Weed in D.C.
Head to the nearest dispensary in your state. If you are 21 or over, it is legal for you to purchase marijuana from any store that sells them. If this is not possible, make friends with someone who lives near where weed is. Fortunately, there are also few places where you can get your weed legally.
You can also order weed online in D.C. legally at The High Guru and order by phone for delivery to your door! The High Guru is a delivery service of cannabis throughout the state of Washington DC. Their marijuana products serve as a psychotropic antidote to all your chronic pains and help you achieve the peaceful high that relieves your day’s stress.